Tuesday, December 12, 2006

What's in a name?

So, here we are.

After encouragement from friends, I've decided to begin making many of my thought processes public. Time will tell as to whether that is a good thing. I do not know in which direction this blog will go, or how much of it will eventually be filled with political or social commentary. For now, it will simply be my release valve for whichever part of my brain requires it.

I suspect that this will largely go unnoticed by the world, blogs of every flavor being a dime a dozen. That realization (or was it hope) was a large part in selecting the name for this blog. It is from the following quote:

Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sun-dial in the shade? -Benjamin Franklin

This perhaps conceals a double-meaning. Is this blog, hidden in a dark corner of the Internet, a misuse of talent? Does any talent exist in the first place? Or, is this blog itself the equivalent of the sun-dial in the shade? An excercise in futility.

Time will tell.