Friday, January 19, 2007

Good Ol' Gary Larson

Border's bookstore had a clearance rack of 2007 calendars for $4. There were a few random wall calendars that hadn't been purchased yet, with themes like "Schnauzers" and "Scenes from the movie 'New York Minute'". To my surprise, there were also approximately 200 unpurchased "Far Side" page-a-day calendars, so I claimed one.

I've always loved the Far Side, and I miss seeing new cartoons in the paper every day. I can't figure out why that calendar would not be a huge seller, unless maybe people have forgotten how original and brilliant it was. Gary Larson should take a page from Berkeley Breathed's book, and take pen to paper again after a prolonged hiatus.

So, I tore out the first half of the January pages in order to catch up with today's date, and read each one like an old friend. Here is my favorite of the first 18 days:

I especially love the look on the dog and cat's faces as they come to grips with the fact that their owner is an imbecile.

No comments: